The Quick MethodThis method is the preferred method if you want to condition with coconut oil quick before work or heading out for a night on the town.
- Wash your hair normally with your shampoo of choice (use the coldest water you can stand)
- Apply a small amount of coconut oil to your hair (warm it up if you need to so it’s in its liquid form)
- Allow the coconut oil to remain in your hair for 10 minutes. The longer, the better!
- Rinse your hair out using only water as thoroughly as possible. Your hair will still be oily from the coconut oil.
- Apply your favorite conditioner, preferably a good quality one without any of those hair-drying alcohols.
- Rinse out the conditioner. This should take the remaining coconut oil in your hair with it.
The Overnight MethodAs I’m certain you can tell from the name, this method involves leaving the coconut oil in your hair overnight for maximum effect.
- Just like the method above, wash your hair normally with your shampoo of choice.
- Apply a liberal amount of coconut oil to your hair. Not enough that you’re dripping, but enough that your hair is pretty thoroughly saturated.
- Put on a shower cap, wrap a towel around your head, or put a towel on your pillow – do whatever it takes to keep the coconut oil from getting all over your bed while you’re asleep.
- Go to sleep!
- When you wake up, proceed from step 4 onward in the quick method
Keep in mind that using either of these methods isn’t going to provide instant results; however if you remain faithful to our good friend coconut oil, it’s certain to provide you with that soft silky hair you desire.