Here's the list showing some of Nutiva's popolar products:
- Chia Seed
- Coconut Manna
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Hemp Protein Powder
However, the oil is not available in Thailand (I live here). So I got my brother to buy one for me. And that was the time he was about back to Thailand from the United States.
I actually got the coconut oil by, maybe, June of this year (2011). This is the only way to get it. Why?
Because it's hard to find any online retailers who ship the product to Thailand, only to the U.S. region.
And if they do, the shipping cost will be very high, much more than the coconut oil price itself.
Now... Nutiva coconut oil is right here, in front of me. I can't wait to see what it looks like.
So I open the box right away. And I found that the oil comes with a pack of two tubs (15 ounce each).
Packaging QualityThe package looks just right. But what comes under my expectation was the plastic jar they use as coconut oil container.
I know that many people, especially those who use a lot of coconut oil, would just accept the "horrifying" risks of plastic jars rather than paying a fortune for shipping glass jar. But what I think is probably different from what they do.
3 Reasons why plastic jar is not good to your health...
- The oil is a solvent so it is inevitably going to leech some plastic chemicals if stored in a plastic container. You will notice plastic taste the longer you keep opening the lid and exposing the plastic container to the oxygen that speed up the breakdown of plastic.
- Some plastics do not protect oils from oxygen, and so coconut oil mixes with some plastics at the molecular level. After all, how do we know exactly which one is good enough to keep the oils safe from oxygen?
- In my opinion, it's worth paying a little higher of a glass jar shipping than the plastic one. It's not too costly to keep me safe from toxin.
I've seen many folks online complaining about low packaging quality of Nutiva coconut oil. And that's also true to my case.
I found out that one jar has the oil leak from inside out the bottle. I thought it was probably because of a loose bottle cap that allows the oil leaks out the gap during the travel. However, the other one has a good tight seal lid, no oil leak at all.
They should be sealing well before shipping the product to the customer. Hopefully, it will signal to Nutiva team to better the quality inspection as fast as possible. After all, the customers want what they expected to get when buying the products or services.
How About the Taste?As for the taste, I think it has very much REAL and NATURAL coconut-y flavor. The taste is not sugary and aromatic that much. So it's perfect if you're using this oil as a substitute for butter and margarine.
I love to spread it on the toast, and eat it with a hot cup of coffee. That's marvelous! If you like real coconut flavor, this oil will be the best cooking oil for your dish that really calls for coconut flavor.
Is There Any Good of Nutiva?Any more "Cons"?
Well... that's enough (for me). Now it's time for the " Pros" :-)
Nutiva claims that their coconut oil is second to none!
This is because Nutiva coconut oil is made from Organic, fresh coconuts that will be sent to pressing right away after harvesting and chopping, while other brands waits more than 10 hours before pressing the oil.
The longer they wait, the worse coconut flavor is.
Umm... that's very interesting point!
If you find any tiny brown specks at the bottom of Nutiva's Coconut oil, don't be panic and throw it away. Just keep it. These brown specks are from the coconut oil fiber and are natural to extra-virgin coconut oil.
Read the list below and see if this is the coconut oil that you really want.
Nutiva's Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil is...
- Certified organic and non-GMO
- Made from fresh coconuts, not dried copra
- No Solvents
- Pure white like fresh coconut
- Tastes like fresh coconut
- Has a fresh coconut fragrance
- Made with our Fresh Is Best™ commitment